Thursday 23 October 2008

Home is where the work is














I was back in London for a load of meet, greet, meet and meet.


“Did you study history?”

“Me? No.”
“There is so much history in your work, that your works will be relevant to many people for a long time”.
“I didn’t make them to last forever”.
“What?”

Art Fairs, Performances, Lectures, Openings, Dinners, Exhibitions, Conversations. Snippets from the week: "selling out, missing artwork, the moustached one, generosity, inspiring, brand, collector, marathon, we have met before, duo, your card, important political work, glorious, guest pass, fixity, glue, protect," and "arrogant."

I met a woman at the opening of ‘Fake ID’, the London exhibition that I have a video work in. She told me her friend stayed in my current Berlin residency studio three years ago, and that her time there was miserable cold and friendless. I assured her I wasn’t.

At a post opening dinner a man called Mad stared at my breasts every time we spoke. It was so extreme I had to stop myself from laughing out loud. Then there was the one about the artist who beat the shit out of his brother at the opening of his exhibition in a church near the Freize Art Fair location. He was exhibiting a huge wax Lucifer covered in fairy lights.

No comments: