Friday 17 October 2008

A closer look

Met C at Box Gallery at Kreusberg, an elegant space with an equally elegant show. The post opening excursion was Italian food at a restaurant at the corner of the street. I sat across from a press photographer. His mannerisms reminded me of südlichen Deutsch J, whom I haven’t seen since Documenta.
“Oh, so you are Irish. You sound normal to me.”
We discussed which Scottish accents we consider the most impenetrable and going on drinking parties with journalists. S thought his calzone had meat in it. The photographer did warn him.
“It’s folded, how will you know what you are eating?”.

The appearance of a professional video camera with tripod, shotgun mic and headphones has stopped people in their tracks. They politely ask if it's okay to pass in front of the camera lens. While I was operating the camera, a passing family asked me to take their photograph. This struck me as odd as I presumed I looked as busy as I was.

Last week in the park I was out numbered by photographers with medium format cameras. It was a beautiful bright warm day and one photographer had turned his attention to the pond. Then he spotted me on the bridge. With our lenses pointed towards each other from a considerable distance a photo/filming stand off ensued which lasted quite a while. A passing amateur also took part, sauntering down to where the photographer was standing to grab a few a snaps of me as I stood beside my camera laughing.

S gave me the address of a second hand bike shop where she bought one for €150. She said she had sold it back to him four weeks later for €100 which she considered to be a good deal.
“No, no, we have nothing for under €230”, he said to me dismissively.
I took the €230 bike on a test run around the heavy populated cobbled square. It seemed to be a nice bike from what I could tell, though I don’t know much about this kind of thing.

No comments: